Friday, February 18, 2011

If I Were a Cookie...

If I were a cookie, I would be biscotti.


Yesterday I made my first biscotti and it was surprisingly a success (most of my firsts are not quite as lucky).  Biscotti is a traditional Italian twice-baked cookie/cake that is crunchy and sweet.  Supposedly, it never goes stale however, I’d be a little concerned about eating year old biscotti.  Biscotti is really simple to make and I’m sure I’ll be making a lot more of it.  The dough is basic (flour, sugar, butter, egg, baking soda)  however I chose a recipe that used both flour and cornmeal for a base.  I think the cornmeal gave the biscotti a more diverse texture.





It turns out that biscotti allows you to get original.  Once you have a dough you can add just about anything you want to it.  I chose to add lemon zest to an almond dough and coated the top of each cookie with lemon juice.  I’m sure I’ll get more inventive with my next batch of biscotti.


After my endeavors with biscotti, it seems we have somethings in common (speaking metaphorically of course).  The sweet cookie is generally paired with a coffee or espresso drink.  The bitterness of the coffee perfectly compliments this otherwise sweet treat.  Biscotti also is a rough, hard cookie but once dipped in coffee or tea, immediately softens it up.  The cookie is simple and low maintenance: you can add any ingredients you feel and it will last a long time.  Perhaps I've been able to offer all of my (FOUR) followers a little insight into the nature of biscotti as well as a Calculating Bimbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment