Tuesday, February 15, 2011

pi = 3.14159265...

Pie, enough said.


After devouring a slice of sugar cream pie made by Chicago's Hoosier Mama Pie Company (http://www.hoosiermamapie.com/)  I was inspired to give pie making another try.  Now I absolutely love making pies and I say give pie a try.


My first (and only attempt) at pie making was a little more than a disaster.  I tried to make a basic banana cream pie that resulted in an overflowing salty mess.  Being a generally stubborn person I insisted on doing things my way rather than following the advice of a cook book.  I was too impatient to let my pie dough chill, I carelessly added double the amount of salt needed, and insisted on fitting every ounce of pie filling into my uncrimped pie crust.  By the end of my terrible tasting pie, I was turned off from pie making entirely.


This time around I read up on pie crusts and used a crust that was both salty and sweet and used butter and shortening (this gave the crust a buttery taste and flaky texture).  I was patient with my pie dough and used cold ingredients and allowed the dough to cool before rolling it out.  I watched a few videos online to find a good pinch method to crimp the pie crust and did not squeeze every bit of filling into the crust.  What I ended with was a delicious pie comparable to Hoosier Mama Pie Company and a love of pie making!  This past week I have continued to craft pies including peanut butter pie and my original Nutella pie (oh, it was as delicious as you think it would be)!


As I was on my way to work (bringing one of my peanut butter pies to share with my fellow employees and regulars) I realized that its more than just pie.  While running after the bus, pie in hand, it dawned on me that I should take some life lessons from pie baking.


What I learned: 


Be patient:  My first experience I was so focused on the final result that I didn't take the time to enjoy the experience leading up to the outcome.


Stop Questioning: Being stubborn, it is in my nature to question everything.  Some things should not be questioned.


First impressions are WRONG:  I was so turned off by my first experience that I was afraid to give it another try.  When I finally did, I discovered a new love.


Share your pie:  The best part of baking is to share it with someone.


Nutella: It makes everything delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment